Thursday, January 2, 2014

Most Memorable Books Read in 2013

I've gotten better about putting aside books that don't hold my interest (rather than just taking weeks and weeks and weeks to get them read), so one could say pretty much every book I made it through in 2013 was top notch. (Not a complete list, but if I managed to get a review written you can consider it recomended.) A review of my reading journal, however, and these are the books that stand out as highlights of my reading year.

Brain on Fire: My month of Madness, by Susannah Cahalan
It awoke the curious psych major I once was! A fastinating view of the journey toward madness. Extremely well written and informative.

A Field Guide to Now: Notes on Mindfulness and Life in the Present Tense, by Christina Rosalie
This is one I actually managed to take the time to review. A wonderful collection of essays. This book remains at the top of my list as potential gift material for thinking young mothers.

Will Grayson, Will Grayson, by John Green
I am perhaps a bit late on the John Green scene, but my kids are huge fans and I have finally caught up on recomended reading. This is, I believe, my favorite of his books so far.

Shadow on the Hill: The True Story of a 1925 Kansas Murder, by Diana Staresinic-Deane
It's local. Very well researched and written. I learned some really cool history about my adopted hometown. Creeped me out a bit, too. (Hey, it's a TRUE story.)

Wool, by Hugh Howey
There is no getting around it. Hugh Howey has become my latest author infatuation. I fell for Wool, Shift, and Dust is next on the night stand.

Orange is the New Black, by Piper Kerman
Have not watched the television show, but I highly recomend the book. Eye opening. Page turner. I learned a lot and it changed my mind on some thoughts about drugs and the US prison system.

Yesterday Road, by Kevin Brennan
This guy can write. I find that most books are predictable, but I didn't really see the end to this one coming. It brought tears to my eyes, but it made me happy at the same time. I will be watching for more from this author.

Someone Else's Love Story, by Joshilyn Jackson
It's a well-known fact that I'm in love with Joshilyn. I'm also in love with her latest book. I think it may be her best yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive