Monday, October 24, 2016

Short Story Collection: Mrs. J's 9th Grade English Class

How about this dot matrix print job! 
The photo is of the original document, 
typed by my teacher, and printed on 
fan-fold paper with tractor holes. 
We didn't learn typing until the 10th grade!
 I have the original, hand-written story, as well.


My deadline for getting my short story collection to my first readers is quickly approaching. I have 14 complete stories, plus three that I feel are very nearly there. I am looking forward to participating in NaNoWriMo this year, and that has been incentive enough to keep me focused on the collection.

I am contemplating the story in the above photo as my final entry in the collection. I wrote it 32 years ago in my 9th grade English class. It is not the most original story, and I am not going to even claim that it is a particularly good story, but I have friends who still say they remember reading it. Honestly, I think they remember visiting my house and being a little bit spooked by our big red barn. And if they weren't afraid before they read the story, they certainly were after.

I wasn't scared, of course. I was never, ever scared of that barn.

The idea of ending the collection with this story is very satisfying to me, and perhaps a bit fun for the readers, too.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive