Thursday, March 19, 2020

The Son Came Home Today, The Sun Came Out Today

M began an art project on our
hallway wall. 
Some of you may remember that we used to have a German Shepard named Nancy. One of Nancy's many little quirks was the way she would count our family members. She'd circle the room giving each member of the family a nudge with her nose. If everyone was present, she'd settle down and become a really sweet dog. But if someone was missing, she'd count again and again and come to me with worry. She simply could not relax if one of the kids was missing. And she was pretty sure I was entirely incompetent as a mother. Why could I not keep my children accounted for?

I've found myself thinking of Nancy quite often in recent days...and empathizing.

The kids are grown now, but I have to admit that I felt some tension drain away when we got the phone call this morning that K was on his way home. And then I looked outside. The rain stopped, and the sun came out to play.

That's a romanticized version of the story, of course. We really did need a day of sunshine. The dreary skies have not helped the processing and adjustments to this new and constantly evolving normal. Kansas not only doubled its number of COVID-19 cases, there have been confirmations a bit closer to home, in nearby Council Grove.

And now we will adjust to living in a house full of five again. It's strange for all of us. Kids who were on their way out the door, on their way to leaving, gone ... wondering what the future will bring now.

But I feel a bit like our old dog Nancy. Now that everyone is home and accounted for, I can relax.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive