Sunday, March 22, 2020

Sunday, Sunday . . . COVID-19 has reached Lyon County


table with markers and paper, sketch of two blue eyes
Doesn't all art start with the eyes?
Quiet weekend at home was almost enough for me to forget what is happening out in the world. Cleaning, reading, games with the family, a short walk, and making myself some sunshine today filled the time well.

sunshine collage art with face and crayons
My early 1990 era neurology textbook felt like the
perfect medium for the base of my project. 
For the most part, I have felt very peace-filled these last couple of days. Staying away from social media is definitely helpful, though I have to say that I am mostly impressed and pleased with the way my friends and family are responding to our current situation. My Facebook feed says to me that I  have chosen my community well. When I come across those who are ... well, less than like-minded, at least about the actions we should be taking ... I remind myself of things I love about them and try to tell myself that maybe their fear is not allowing them to think things through. On some subjects, I'm willing to say that hey, maybe it's me who has things backwards. But the science and the data seems pretty clear on this one.

Had a short chat on the phone with my dad this morning where I learned he has been through quarantine before. When he was six he had scarlet fever. He said they put a big red sign on the door and he and his little sister and mother could not leave the house. His dad slept away at work and he remembers Grandpa knocking on the door sometimes at night so that he could talk to Grandma. I knew my dad had scarlet fever when he was a kid. I guess I just never had considered that it was something they quarantined families for.

Technically we continue to volunteer to isolate ourselves. As much as possible, anyway.

Tonight's board game was iKnow, by Tactic USA. It's part trivia, part betting where you can get points for choosing correctly whether others will or will not get the answer right.

I've been long admiring the work of some local collage/multimedia artists and today I decided to tackle a project of my own. In the cleaning of the bedroom yesterday I unearthed a couple of college textbooks that I had set aside specifically with the idea of some recycled book art in mind. I thought we needed a little sunshine in our lives. I was pleased with the result.

collage sunshine art hanging above door
It makes a fine addition to my door of inspiration and
helps to brighten the whole room.
__________________________
Kansas is at 66 confirmed cases of COVID-19 (2 of them in Lyon County) and 2 deaths. (per my preferred website for keeping tabs, NYTimes, 8:25pm, 3/22/2020)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive